Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Independence Day!

Our cool spell here in Brooklyn is over; it's heating up. We're moving into the high 90's.

We're having some friends over this evening, about six in all. In the past, we've watched the fireworks from our living room window, but this year and last, the location of the fireworks was moved to to the Hudson River on the West Side of Manhattan rather than the East River, which is visible from our living room.

We'll still be able to see some of the highest bursts, but not the full show. However, while this will change one part of the "tradition", it won't dim our appreciation of our time together.

I prepared a menu that I'm pretty sure that everyone will like; won't blow the calorie budget too badly and didn't require massive amounts of prep.

While I think that I will likely go somewhat over my limit, I've planned ahead, so that I meet my nutritional needs and minimize the damage.

Since this change is supposed to be for life, there has to be room for celebration and variation in our circumstances, so I'm not worrying about it.

I'm also giving some time to thought and prayer for our nation.

I hope that everyone is having a wonderful Independence Day weekend and that those of you who are traveling have safe journeys!

The first photo below is of a flag and bunting bedecked Brooklyn Borough Hall, the others, of fireworks past:





No comments: